Touchless Naloxone Distribution FAQ
What does “touchless” naloxone distribution refer to?
- Providing naloxone training + supplies in ways that do not require physical contact
- Looking beyond traditional spaces—substance use disorder (SUD) treatment facilities, county health departments, libraries, etc.—to expand access
How can touchless distribution be helpful in rural communities?
- Reduce the need to travel distances to get trained and obtain naloxone
- Offer privacy and anonymity to individuals who may be reluctant to seek training in public spaces
Why is this approach important during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Allow for social distancing
- Boost access during uncertain times, when stress and isolation may increase overdose risk
Note: Patients may need more take-home medication during this crisis, so practice operations should plan to have an adequate supply on hand.
How does remote training work?
- Drawing on learning from train-the-trainer, SAMHSA’s toolkit, state guidance, and ready-made resources available from states and harm reduction groups
- Flexible format communities can fit to their needs and resources, with methods such as:
- Online training: e.g., bulleted text, images, brochures, recorded video, or video call
- Communication by phone/text + brochures
- Built-in mechanism to confirm understanding of material: e.g., live questions or online form
How does touchless distribution work?
- Mailing naloxone: e.g., working with NEXT Naloxone/NEXT Distro
- Home delivery/drop-off
- Curbside pickup at an SUD treatment facility, county health department, etc.
- Drive-through at pharmacy or mailed from pharmacy
- Vending machine
Who can provide information about laws, strategies, and operations?
- States are currently reviewing protocols around mailing naloxone. Be sure to check with your state and local health departments for the most up-to-date information.
- Consult with Harm Reduction Coalition or statewide/local harm reduction groups.
- Contact us at the UR Medicine Recovery Center of Excellence Technical Assistance Center.